In The Mezzanine, Howie confronts the world based on the products which surround him. From the milk carton at the start of the story, to his ex-cursus on paper towels, and finally his analysis of the escalator which he rides every day, Howie reflects deeply on the objective reality of these objects and the social relations which surround them. But is Nicholson Baker attempting to glorify these commodities or show how deeply rooted contemporary life is in our relationship with products of mass consumption? Howie’s reactions seem to suggest Baker himself admires the “human innovation” behind the modern world, but looking deeper, a critique of our over-reliance on goods, whether purposeful or not, starts to appear.
Let’s take for example, Howie’s interaction with his coworker Tina at the start of the book. While describing the complicated social cues and rules one should know as an office worker, he notes that Tina “knew the conventions well”. In doing so, Baker implies that these conventions, which form in the world of value production also known as labor, are not innate human nature and are instead man-made restrictions. To go as far as to say that Baker resents these restrictions would be to ignore the constant praise he gives to them, but I do not believe that Howie is the embodiment of a man at peace with the system. The sense of freedom Howie feels even living such a monotonous life does not come from the objects themselves, but instead the constant over-analysis and critique of these objects. The dialogue with Tina begins with her relating the story of how Ray, the office janitor, hurt his back on the job. Immediately, the sense of sympathy for a colleague is represented through the creation of a symbolic object, the signed card. The conversation is then interrupted by Tina receiving a phone call, reminding us of the current setting, work. While Howie waits, he reflects on the social requirements imposed upon him by the coworker relationship.
Another example of critique becomes clear when rereading his analysis of the escalators intended purpose, and the unintended use of the technology by the population. The escalator was intended as a walking assistant but ends up functioning under the same role as the elevator, as a replacement for walking. This observation points out a different relationship with objects, where an object’s role is not directly assigned by its creator, but instead by the consumer. All of what Howie describes as unintended benefits of this invention, such as the ease of cleaning, demonstrate how a products benefit is directly correlated to the population’s use of that object. Does the price of the escalator go up after it assimilates to ones needs? Not necessarily, but its demand and value almost certainly do.
I do not believe that the book aims to condemn our relationship with objects, at least not directly. But I do believe that whether it is an intended or unintended consequence, the over-analysis of goods which the book promotes, results in the questioning of materialism. For this reason, Howie, and fundamentally the book itself, is neither materialist or anti-materialist, it represents the consciousness of the materialism, which governs our lives.
Hi Leo! I thought this was a great blog, and I really liked your point on how the book makes readers think about materialism. I also liked how you talked about the signed card for the janitor as an object used by office workers to convey their emotions. I hadn't thought about it that way before, but it definitely made me notice how often we rely on physical items to express our feelings. I also agree that I don't think Howie/Baker is trying to take a side on materialism; instead, they just have really strong opinions about these inventions. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this blog, and I hope to read more amazing writing by you this semester!
ReplyDeleteHello Leo! This blog is a very close reading of the novel. I especially liked the part where you wrote "I do not believe that Howie is the embodiment of a man at peace with the system." I liked this because I agree that Howie seems to be going through the motions of life without truly living. I also loved the nuance you have interwoven throughout this blog, because I agree with that The Mezzanine needs a little push to be a full on critique on materialism. I'm glad The Bluest Blog is back!
ReplyDeleteHi Leo, I really enjoyed this blog! While I do agree that Howie's "sense of freedom" comes from the in-depth analysis of objects in his environment, I don't think it comes from his critiques in them. Howie has a profound appreciation for the engineering and ingenuity that went into creating things like perforated paper, escalators, and plastic straws. Of course, he does find fault with the unequal wear and tear of his shoe laces, but I think any "sense of freedom" he derives from this analysis comes from his interest in the physics of how it is possible for his shoe laces to snap at separate times, rather than any critique he has with the shoe laces. Also, I agree that Howie and by proxy the book take no real stance on materialism. Yes, he does have a fascination for the objects in his surrounding, but it is less because of the quality of life it provides for him and more about the literal designs which he marvels at. This was a really intriguing blog and I'm looking forward to reading more from you!
ReplyDeleteDoes it make a difference that the get-well card is homemade by Tina, rather than being a generic Hallmark card from CVS? Either way, I do see your point, and this is a question I continue to ponder about this novel. It is possible to read some degree of irony into Howie's enthusiasms--he HAS to be joking, calling perforation one of the great advances of humankind. Right? Or maybe not--maybe he IS serious, and this novel DOES want to remind us of the unheralded human ingenuity behind all kinds of minor technologies we use every day. The "system" keeps cranking out all this consumer crap for us to surround ourselves with, distracting us from the void, but Howie is alert to all the *people* who occupy the offices, the folks over at the straw-manufacturing company trying to keep up with the new developments in the field. This novel humanizes industrial design, and one effect of reading it, for me, is that I find myself imagining these little scenes like Baker describes--some ball-point-pen engineer pleased to see that his experimental new ink-dispensing method seems to be working just as expected. Howie's world is populated by well-meaning folks putting long hours of work in to the project of making our lives more comfortable and convenient. If there's some irony in there, it might read as critique. But at the same time this book feels like an unironic celebration of the human aspects of consumer culture.
ReplyDeleteReally interesting argument Rota. I like how you distinguish between Baker celebrating innovation and simultaneously exposing how much of our lives are structured around commodities. Your point about the escalator was especially convincing because it shows how the meaning and value of an object can change through its use rather than its intended purpose. It made me think that Howie's constant reflection isn't just appreciation for objects but also a way of questioning the systems that produce and define them, and to some extend, the people who do such.
ReplyDelete